High School Program Description
A two-year HIGH SCHOOL program designed to prepare students to enter the field of carpentry and work for a carpenter, own their own carpentry business or enter the carpenter’s union if they desire. The high school curriculum is designed to develop entry-level workforce skills and allow the students to receive advanced standing and acceptance in the carpentry field.
- Carpenter’s Helper
- Cabinet Maker
- Sheet Rocker
- Siding Installer
- Mason’s Assistant
Program Skills And Tasks
- Understanding different building materials such as lumber sizes, types, defects, board feet, engineered lumber, and non-wood materials
- General safety rules
- Use of various carpentry tools used including leveling instruments such as a building level and a transit level
- Plan specifications, codes and blueprint reading
- Footings and foundations, constructing a floor, wall, and ceiling frames
- Roof framing, types of roofing materials and methods of installation
- Installation of windows, doors, exterior walls, ceiling fixtures, finish flooring
- Stair construction, doors, interior trim and cabinetmaking
- Installation of finish materials including siding, casement work, and all necessary trim
- Painting, finishing, solar constructions, and remodeling
Safety Skills: Carpenters must be able to work in a safe and skillful manner. There is a very large responsibility involved in using the power tools and machines in the construction field.
Interpersonal Skills: Carpenters must be able to work well with others. To successfully complete a construction job, carpenters must be able to work with a variety of tradespeople.
Listening Skills: Carpenters must have good listening skills. They need to follow directions from the job foreman, architects, and engineers.
Organizational Skills: Carpenters must have excellent organizational skills. They should have the correct tools in order to complete a task in a timely and efficient manner.
- Apprenticeship- njctf.org
- Brookdale Community College
- Johnson College
High School Credits Earned
|CTE Math I
|CTE Science I
|CTE Math II
|CTE Science II